“The Week In Recruiting” catches you up on what happened on the recruiting front the previous week while also providing a look at the planned recruiting coverage in the coming week.
– In case you missed it, Stevens Point (WI) small forward Sam Hauser verbally committed to Marquette on Sunday. The 6’6”, 190-pound junior took an official visit to Marquette over the weekend, one week after making an official to UVa.
– While one wing target is off the board, UVa offered another low post target over the weekend.
Four-star 2016 power forward Wenyen Gabriel just picked up an offer from Virginia.
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) May 18, 2015
Gabriel, a 6’9” prospect, earned honorable mention NEPSAC AA honors for his performance this past season as a junior. He has performed well on the AAU circuit this offseason, earning offers within the past month from Maryland, Xavier, Kansas State and Virginia. Boston College offered in February.
– You can always check out our “Scholarship Picture” page for the latest basketball scholarship numbers and confirmed targets, but this week I will also have a “Strategy Session” focused on Virginia basketball recruiting in the class of 2016. Stay tuned for a look at those confirmed targets as well as important dates to remember in the coming months.
– Given all of the (not-so-good) news with Virginia’s quarterback situation, I plan to catch up this week with incoming freshman quarterback Nick Johns, who along with rising junior Matt Johns may be only one of two quarterbacks on scholarship this coming season. Nick Johns, a product of Gonzaga College Prep (Washington, D.C.), is expected to enroll on Grounds this summer.
– Last week, UVa extended several scholarship offers to class of 2016 recruits. We plan to have reports on these recruits in the coming days and weeks. The list includes…
– 6’5”, 250-pound defensive end Bryce Morais of Grayson High School in Loganville, Georgia. Georgia Tech, Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin have also come through with scholarship offers this month.
– 6’6”, 270-pound offensive lineman Dillon Reinkensmyer, a rising senior out of Valor Christian Academy in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. Air Force, Kansas, Navy, Nevada and UNLV are among the other schools that have offered.
– Hudson (FL) offensive lineman Grayson Stover, a 6’6”, 290-pound prospect. In addition to UVa, Stover boasts offers from Eastern Michigan, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Marshall, Massachusetts, Rutgers, Samford, South Florida, Temple, Tulane University and Western Kentucky (per PascoCountyFB.com).