Taft School (Watertown, CT) offensive lineman prospect Gerrik Vollmer is a Wahoo.
“First off, I would like to thank all the coaches who have recruited me and given me and given me the opportunity to attend their universities,” Vollmer wrote in the Tweet embedded below. “I would also like to thank my amazing family for supporting me throughout this difficult process. With that being said, I am very excited to announce my commitment to the University of Virginia!”
Vollmer, a 6’5″, 275-pound recruit rated on the 3-star level by 247Sports.com, chose the University of Virginia over offers from Connecticut and Temple. He pledged to Louisville earlier in the process but reopened his recruitment on December 6, 2016. Now, Vollmer will play against the Cardinals in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Vollmer joins fellow Taft School senior Elliott Brown as members of UVA football’s 2017 Class. Both players were in Charlottesville last weekend on official visits, and both players are expected to sign letters of intent with the Cavaliers tomorrow.
The 2016 Class A All New England selection becomes the fifth offensive line prospect to join UVA’s 2017 Class, which now looks like this on the eve of National Signing Day …
– Lindell Stone, QB, Woodberry Forest (VA)
– Lamont Atkins, RB, Lake Braddock (Burke, VA), ENROLLED IN JAN 2017
– PK Kier, RB, Millbrook (Winchester, VA)
– Jamari Peacock, RB, Yulee (FL), ENROLLED IN JAN 2017
– Darnell Pratt Jr., WR, Good Counsel (Olney, MD)
– Shawn Smith, WR, Brunswick (GA)
– Tyler Fannin, OL, Mill Creek (Hoschton, GA)
– Chris Glaser Jr., OL, Solon (OH)
– Ryan Nelson, OL, Buena Park (CA)
– Ryan Swoboda, OL, Windermere Prep (FL)
– Gerrik Vollmer, OL, Taft School (Watertown, CT)
– Mandy Alonso, NT, Gulliver Prep (Miami, FL)
– Isaac Buell, DL, Knoxville Central (Knoxville, TN)
– Tommy Christ, DL, Dominion (Sterling, VA)
– John Kirven, DE, Woodberry Forest (VA)
– Matt Gahm, LB, Highland Park (Dallas, TX)
– Zane Zandier, LB, Thomas Jefferson (Jefferson Hills, PA)
– Elliott Brown, LB, Taft School (Watertown, CT)
– Charles Snowden, LB/DE, St. Albans (Washington, D.C.)
– Joey Blount, FS, Landmark Christian (Fairburn, GA)
– Darrius Bratton, DB, Fork Union Military Academy (VA) via William Fleming (Roanoke, VA)
– Zachariah Burton, DB, Penn (New Castle, DE), ENROLLED IN JAN 2017
– Germane Crowell, DB, Carver (Winston-Salem, N.C.), ENROLLED IN JAN 2017
– Terrell Jana, ATH, Woodberry Forest (VA)
– Brian Delaney, PK, Westfield (Chantilly, VA)
Below are Vollmer’s highlights from the 2016 season. Stay tuned for more from him on his decision in the coming days.