Eight of the University of Virginia football program’s nine high school senior commits were in action this past week. RB Jordan Ellis continued his productive play in a blowout win, while 5-star safety Quin Blanding and the Bayside Marlins played tough but were dealt their first loss of the 2013 season. Read more on how these and other UVa-bound prospects performed on the gridiron last week in “The Week In Review.”
– Bayside (Va. Beach, VA) dropped a 13-10 decision to Beach District foe Salem. The Marlins (2-1) defense, led by 5-star safety Quin Blanding , surrendered only three first downs and just over 100 yards total in a losing effort. On the year, the Marlins D has given up 20 points in total and pitched one shutout.
– Andrew Brown and the Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA) defense blanked Indian River, 61-0. Brown and company have not allowed an offensive score this year. Junior tailback Deshawn McClease , a player with several FBS scholarship offers, provided the offense by rushing for over 100 yards and five touchdowns. The Tigers improve to 2-0 on the season.
– Clearwater Central Catholic (Clearwater, FL) rebounded from an overtime loss to Tampa Catholic with a 21-3 win over Jesuit. The Marauders improve to 2-1 on the season
Caanan Brown , a tight end and linebacker bound for Charlottesville, hauled in a 65-yard touchdown reception, the first offensive touchdown of his career.
– Episcopal Academy (Newtown Square, PA) cruised to a 34-15 win over Caravel Academy to move to 3-0. Evan Butts is being used this season.
– routed Duluth, 55-17. Ellis, a running back, finished with 108 all-purpose yards in the win. Peachtree Ridge remains undefeated through three games in this 2013 season.
– Upland (CA) handled Jordan High School (Long Beach, CA) by a score of 41-0. The win was the first of the season for cornerback/wide receiver Jeffery Farrar and his Upland teammates, who are now 1-2 heading into this week’s match-up against Silverado.
Farrar followed the win with an official visit to Utah. As far as we know he remains committed to UVa, but we hope to get in touch with him this week for further comments.
– JJ Jackson and his Woodgrove (Purcellville, VA) teammates enjoyed a bye last week. The Wolverines (1-1) travel to Champe this Friday.
– Chancellor (Fredericksburg, VA), featuring 4-star offensive lineman Steven Moss , fell to Massaponax for its third straight loss to start the season.
– UVa-bound offensive tackle Will Richardson could not help his team achieve its first win of the season this past week, as Cummings lost to Ben L. Smith by a score of 35-21. Cummings is now 0-4 on the year.
Previous “Week In Review” Reports