The “Week In Review” is back with the latest update on how those University of Virginia-bound high school seniors are performing on the gridiron this season. Before getting to the action on the field, here is a rundown of some of the postseason all-star events some of these future Cavaleirs are scheduled to play in…
The Week In Review, 7th Edition
– Safety Quin Blanding and his Bayside (Virginia Beach, VA) teammates enjoyed a bye week last week. The Marlins’ (3-4) playoff push begins on Friday night against Kempsville.
– Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA) improved to 7-0 after defeating Southeastern District-foe Grassfield. The Tigers offense racked up 42 points. The defense, led by 5-star defensive lineman Andrew Brown , shutout a Grizzlies offense that features Old Dominion-bound running back Vincent Lowe.
– Clearwater Central Catholic (Clearwater, FL) defeated Calvary Christian, 47-23, for its sixth win of the 2013 season. UVa-bound linebacker/tight end Caanan Brown and his Marauders teammates only have one loss on the year. Three games remain, beginning this week with a home contest against Admiral Farragut.
– Tight end Evan Butts had five catches for 98 yards and a touchdown as Episcopal Academy (Newtown Square, PA) cruised to a 30-0 win over William Penn Charter. Butts also plays defensive end for the Churchmen, so he contributed to the shutout as well. Episcopal is now 7-1.
– RB Jordan Ellis and his Peachtree Ridge (Suwanee, GA) teammates had a bye last week. They return to action this Friday against a 6-2 Norcross squad. Ellis has rushed for over 1,000 yards in seven games, six of which were victories.
– Upland (CA), which features CB/WR prospect Jeffery Farrar , defeated Los Osos, 27-10. The Scots are now 4-3.
– Woodgrove (Purcellville, VA) was well on its way to its fifth win of the season before Loudoun County reeled off 17 straight points to capture a 31-28 victory. Loudoun County began its comeback with 5:33 left in the fourth quarter. Athletic defensive end/outside linebacker Jordan Jackson and the Wolverines (4-3) look to rebound this week, at home against Dominion.
– Before leaving for Charlottesville this past Saturday for an official visit to UVa, cornerback Darious Latimore and his Central Gwinnett (Lawrenceville, GA) teammates lost a tough one to Brookwood, 23-14. The Black Knights (2-5) meet Parkview this Friday night. Latimore, of course, is now a member of Virginia’s class of 2014 after giving Mike London a verbal commitment on Monday.
– Chancellor (Fredericksburg, VA) fell to James Monroe, 42-12, and is now 1-6 on the season. The Chargers feature UVa offensive line recruit Steven Moss , who earned over 20 FBS offers before committing to the Hoos.
– Cummings (Burlington, N.C.), featuring Virginia offensive tackle recruit Will Richardson , defeated Carrboro for its second win of the year. The Cavaliers (2-6) hope for a second straight win when they face Bartlett Yancey on Friday night.
As mentioned above, Richardson has been selected to play in the 2013 NC/SC Shrine Bowl, which is a big honor for players in the Carolinas. He plans to graduate from Cummings in December and enroll at UVa in January of 2014.
PREVIOUS WEEKS IN REVIEW
– First Edition – September 3
– Second Edition – September 10
– Third Edition – September 18
– Fourth Edition – September 24
– Fifth Edition – October 2
– Sixth Edition – October 16