The “Week In Review” is back with the latest update on how those University of Virginia-bound high school seniors are performing on the gridiron this season. For the following Virginia-bound recruits, the 2013 season was over before last week…
– Evan Butts , TE, Episcopal Academy (Newtown Square, PA)
– Darious Latimore , CB, Central Gwinnett (Lawrenceville, GA)
– Steven Moss , OL, Chancellor (Fredericksburg, VA)
– Will Richardson , OL, Cummings (Burlington, N.C.)
The Week In Review, 11th Edition
– Quin Blanding ‘s outstanding career at Bayside (Virginia Beach, VA) came to an end last Friday, when the Marlins fell to Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA), 35-0, in the first round of the 6A South Region (Conferences 1 & 2) playoffs. Blanding, who was just named Beach District Co-Defensive Player of the Year along with Ocean Lakes senior defensive tackle Derrick Nnadi, has one more game left to play on the high school level as he will play in the 2014 Under Armour All-American Game in January.
Oscar Smith (11-0) hosts Grassfield in the second round on Friday night. The two teams squared off in the regular season with Oscar Smith shutting out the Grizzlies, 42-0. The Tigers are led on defense by 5-star defensive lineman Andrew Brown , who has signed a grant-in-aid with the University of Virginia. He plans to enroll at UVa this coming January.
– Clearwater Central Catholic (Clearwater, FL) cruised to a 47-0 playoff win over Bishop Verot last week. UVa-bound linebacker Caanan Brown and his Marauder teammates face St. Petersburg Catholic this week in the Class 3A Region 5 final. Clearwater Central defeated St. Petersburg, 35-14, in the regular season.
– Varina (VA) captured a 26-21 win over Woodbridge in the first round of the 6A South, Conferences 3 & 4 playoffs. UVa-bound wide receiver Donovan Dowling had two catches for 69 yards in the victory. The Blue Devils host Forest Park in second round action on Friday night.
– Tailback Jordan Ellis rushed for 262 yards and scored six touchdowns as Peachtree Ridge (Suwanee, GA) handled Lassiter, 59-20, in the first round of the Class AAAAAA playoffs. Ellis, who has totaled 13 touchdowns over the past three games, looks to help the Lions to a second round win over Dacula this week.
– Upland (CA), which features UVa-bound cornerback/wide receiver Jeffery Farrar , downed South Hills, 21-14, in the first round of the CIF Southern Section (Inland Division) playoffs last week. The Scots meet Santiago in the second round, in what will be an anticipated rematch. Upland defeated Santiago by just one point, 43-42, in the regular season.
– 4-year old Woodgrove High School (Purcellville, VA) captured its first ever playoff victory last week, defeating Loudoun County, 45-7, in the first round of the 4A North Region playoffs. DE/OLB Jordan Jackson and the Wolverines will face a 10-1 Eastern View squad in the second round this week.
The following recruits are set to play in postseason all-star contests…
PREVIOUS WEEKS IN REVIEW
– First Edition – September 3
– Second Edition – September 10
– Third Edition – September 18
– Fourth Edition – September 24
– Fifth Edition – October 2
– Sixth Edition – October 16
– Seventh Edition – October 24
– Eighth Edition – October 31
– Ninth Edition – October 31
– 10th Edition – November 14