Nose tackle is one position Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall wishes he could have addressed more in class of 2017 recruiting. While the Cavaliers recruited some talented defensive linemen who could play nose, on National Signing Day Mendenhall lamented not finding his ideal prospect.
Franklin, a product of North Caroline (Ridgely, MD), is currently a 247Sports and Rivals.com 3-star prospect but has seen his stock rise steadily throughout the year. Virginia Tech is the latest to offer, coming through earlier this week. Virginia, Notre Dame, Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest are among the other offers for Franklin, whose first offer came from the Cavaliers. 247Sports’ Crystal Ball feature has Notre Dame as the favorite for the talented defensive tackle. However, he has visited UVA multiple times this year. We’ll see if this latest experience helps the Hoos.
— #55GoLive (@Jamion_Franklin) April 29, 2017
Goode, who stands 6’0” and weighs 315 pounds, hails from St. John’s College (Washington, D.C.), which plays in the talent-rich WCAC. Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh have made inroads with him, but Coach Mendenhall threw his hat in the ring with an offer on Saturday.
Pierre, a former teammate of UVA class of 2017 recruit Tommy Christ, has also been on Grounds multiple times. Maryland and Purdue are other suitors for the 6’1”, 295-pound prospect. Golden, who hails from Mountain View High School in Arizona, appeared to be having a great time while in Scott Stadium on Saturday. UVA was the first offer for the 6’3”, 290-pound rising senior, who has since added New Mexico.
— Kai O. Golden (@kog13579) April 29, 2017
More Visit Confirmations
All of the following prospects claim offers from Virginia …
– Nana Asiedu, OL/DL, North Stafford (Stafford, VA), Class of 2018
While he was in attendance yesterday, Asiedu has committed to Penn State and is a solid pledge. This marks the second consecutive recruiting cycle in which the Nittany Lions have scored a top prospect from the Fredericksburg area.
– David Bailey, RB, North Caroline (Ridgely, MD), Class of 2018
A teammate of Jamion Franklin’s, Bailey boasts offers from Boston College, Rutgers, Syracuse and Virginia.
– Brian Cobbs, WR, Hayfield (VA), Class of 2018
The 6’2”, 200-pound prospect was spotted talking with offensive coordinator Robert Anae following the Spring Football Festival. UVA was the first to offer, but now NC State, Temple, Wake Forest and West Virginia are in the mix as well. Cobbs appears to be high on the UVA staff’s wish list at wideout.
– Noah Gatlin, OL, Jonesboro (AR), Class of 2018
Virginia has one Gatlin in the class already. Might another come on board? Virginia is in serious contention along with Air Force, Arizona State and Texas Tech, among others, for the 6’7”, 300-pound prospect. Noah listed the Hoos as one of three schools “doing a good job of keeping in touch with me” in this recent article.
– Adam Klein, OL/DL, Episcopal Academy (Newtown Square, PA)
Klein, who attends current Cavalier tight end Evan Butts’ alma mater, claimed a Virginia offer in late March. We’re not sure where the 6’4”, 255-pound rising senior stands on UVA’s board at this point, but he was in attendance yesterday.
– Devyn Ford, RB, North Stafford (Stafford, VA), Class of 2019
One of the top running back prospects in his class, Ford is at the top of Virginia’s wish list in 2019. The speedy talent boasts over 20 scholarship offers already and is a nationally recruited prospect.
– Derek Green, OL/DL, Southwest Onslow (Jacksonville, N.C.), Class of 2019
The 6’5”, 300-pound Green claimed an offer from the Cavaliers in March of this year.
– Soon-to-be first year Cavaliers on hand for yesterday’s Spring Game included: Mandy Alonso (DT), Joey Blount (S), Darrius Bratton (DB), Isaac Buell (DL), Tommy Christ (DL), Tyler Fannin (OL), Chris Glaser Jr. (OL) and Ryan Swoboda (OL).
– Cornerback prospect Antonio Grimes is finishing up his 8th grade year and will attend Princess Anne (Virginia Beach, VA) next year as a freshman. Virginia Tech has reportedly already offered this promising prospect, who was spotted in Scott Stadium yesterday.