The Virginia football program entered the weekend with seven verbal commitments in the class of 2018. None of those pledges hailed from the state of Virginia.
Head coach Bronco Mendenhall and company landed their first in-state 2018 pledge last night, when Landstown (Virginia Beach, VA) safety Joseph White announced for the Hoos over offers from Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State and Wake Forest, among others.
— Joseph White (@JoJoWhite_18) May 20, 2017
White had seven interceptions — two of which he returned for touchdowns — and 18 pass breakups his junior season, earning first-team all-Tidewater honors for his performance. 247Sports’ no. 16 rising senior in Virginia added 40 tackles. White also plays wide receiver for the Eagles, hauling in 45 catches for 850 yards this past year.
Virginia’s 2018 Class now includes a quarterback, a wide receiver, two offensive linemen, three linebackers and one safety. The rundown is below.
UVA’s 2018 Recruiting Class
– Wyatt Rector, QB, Leesburg (FL)
– Tavares Kelly, WR/KR/PR, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
– Joe Bissinger, OL, Memorial (Houston, TX)
– Will Lawrence, OL, Harding Academy (Memphis, TN)
– Javar Garrett, LB, The Peddie School (Hightstown, N.J.)
– Case Gatlin, LB, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)
– Noah Taylor, OLB, Avalon (Gaithersburg, MD)
– Joseph White, S, Landstown (Virginia Beach, VA)