Virginia football’s impressive run of commitments continued today with a pledge from a state Bronco Mendenhall has recruited very well since taking over as Cavalier head coach. Dave Herard, a 6’1”, 180-pound athlete out of Stranahan High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, announced for the Hoos a few days after making an official visit to Charlottesville.
“First and foremost, I just want to thank God for giving me the ability and good health to play the sport I love and to my family for being a good support system. I am grateful to be in this position,” Herard wrote in the below tweet. “Without you none of this would be possible. Thank you to all the universities that have been recruiting me and seeing the abilities that I have. I am forever grateful!! After a tough but thoughtful decision, I would like to announce that I will be committing to…….
“The University of Virginia #Hoosrising”
— Dave Herard (@Dave_era5) June 25, 2019
Herard gives UVA 10 commitments in the class of 2020. Counting the Florida native, five of those recruits have pledged within the past eight days. Herard is the first prospect from the Sunshine State to commit to the Hoos in this class; however, 13 student-athletes signed with Virginia in Coach Mendenhall’s first three full recruiting classes, including six in the class of 2019, four in the class of 2018, and three in 2017. Only one (Wooby Theork-Youmans, c/o 2018) has left the program.
Boston College, Indiana, Kansas, South Florida, Syracuse, Utah and West Virginia are among the other schools that offered Herard, who is rated a 3-star safety by Rivals and a 3-star cornerback by 247Sports. A two-sport star at Stranahan, he is a standout wide receiver and defensive back on the varsity football team and a 2019 second-team all-state guard on the varsity boys basketball team. The latter captured the school’s first ever state basketball title this past season.
Virginia Football’s 2020 Class
– Ira Armstead, Dual-Threat Quarterback, Adams (South Bend, IN)
– Sam Brady, Linebacker/Athlete, North Lincoln (Denver, N.C.)
– Jahmeer Carter, Defensive Lineman, Archbishop Spalding (Severn, MD)
– Jimmy Christ, Offensive Lineman, Dominion (Sterling, VA)
– Ja’Darius Clark, Defensive Back, Alexandria (LA)
– Lavel Davis Jr., Wide Receiver, Woodland (Dorchester, S.C.)
– Dave Herard, Athlete, Stranahan (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
– Donovan Johnson, Safety, Helen Cox (Harvey, LA)
– Jestus Johnson, Offensive Lineman, Gonzaga College (Washington, D.C.)
– Joshua Rawlings, Tight End, Woodland Hills (Pittsburgh, PA)
Herard’s future classmates welcomed him to the fold via Twitter.
Welcome To The Family…Took You Long Enough😂🔶⚔️🔷 https://t.co/xz7H07XKh0
— Ira Armstead (@armstead_iraken) June 25, 2019
Welcome to the family bro!
— Jahmeer Carter (@iamjahmeer) June 25, 2019
Yessir bro 🔷⚔️🔶 https://t.co/Eq44idZUGE
— JESTUS JOHNSON (@_JJiii_) June 25, 2019