Virginia football has secured its second highly regarded verbal commitment in as many days, this time scoring a pledge who is likely to play on the defensive side of the ball. Defensive back/wide receiver Elijah Gaines, a consensus 3-star prospect out of Episcopal (Alexandria, VA), announced on Sunday (December 15) that he will be part of Virginia’s class of 2020, which is now up to 13 commits.
Just like 4-star offensive tackle Andrew Gentry did the previous day, Gaines took to Twitter to reveal his pledge to the Hoos.
“First off, I’d like to thank God for providing me with the blessings I’ve had to play football at the next level,” Gaines wrote in the below tweet. “I’d also like to thank my family, friends, and coaches for supporting me throughout this whole process. With that being said, I am 1000% committed to The University of Virginia! Go Hoos!”
AGTG! 🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/bs2OgGwTJa
— Elijah Gaines (@Elijah11Gaines) December 15, 2019
The 6’2”, 190-pound Gaines is rated by 247Sports as the no. 13 senior in the state of Virginia and the no. 37 safety in the nation in his class. Rivals, meanwhile, ranks Gaines as the no. 11 senior in the state and the no. 55 cornerback in the class of 2020. He also played wide receiver at Episcopal.
Gaines received double-digit major FBS offers before narrowing his list of schools to seven this past June. The list included Duke, Michigan, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Penn State, Syracuse and Virginia. Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Pitt, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin had also offered as well. Gaines committed to Penn State this past September but reopened his recruitment on December 6, citing “some unfortunate circumstances.”
Virginia, which offered the promising prospect in November of 2018, is the beneficiary of Gaines’ decommitment. He can make the choice official next week, during the December 18-20 Early Signing Period.
Virginia Football’s 2020 Class
– Ira Armstead, Dual-Threat Quarterback, Adams (South Bend, IN)
– Sam Brady, Linebacker/Athlete, North Lincoln (Denver, N.C.)
– Jahmeer Carter, Defensive Lineman, Archbishop Spalding (Severn, MD)
– Ja’Darius Clark, Defensive Back, Alexandria (LA)
– Lavel Davis Jr., Wide Receiver, Woodland (Dorchester, S.C.)
– Elijah Gaines, Defensive Back, Episcopal (Alexandria, VA)
– Andrew Gentry, Offensive Tackle, Columbine (Littleton, CO)
– Dave Herard, Athlete, Stranahan (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
– Donovan Johnson, Safety, Helen Cox (Harvey, LA)
– Jestus Johnson, Offensive Lineman, Gonzaga College (Washington, D.C.)
– Josh Rawlings, Tight End, Woodland Hills (Pittsburgh, PA)
– Lorenz Terry, Defensive Lineman, Varina (VA)
– Brandon Williams, Outside Linebacker, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA)