Blessed Trinity Catholic (Roswell, GA) offensive line prospect Ty Furnish has announced his commitment to the University of Virginia, becoming the Cavaliers’ first offensive line pledge in the class of 2021. The 6’4”, 240-pound rising senior chose the Hoos over offers from East Carolina and Appalachian State, among others.
Honored & excited to announce my commitment to University of Virginia Cavaliers football. Thank you to @UVACoachBronco & @Coach2J! @UVAFootball #GoHoos @Cavaliers247 @VirginiaSports @UVACoachAtuaia #THEStandard & thanks to my coaches & team mates @BTTitansAD @BTCatholic pic.twitter.com/ELxys5Mqff
— Ty Furnish (@FurnishTy) May 29, 2020
Furnish comes from a highly successful high school football program in Blessed Trinity, which has dropped only two games while capturing three straight Class 4A state championships the last three seasons. Furnish, who plays offensive tackle and defensive tackle, helped the Titans take down Oconee County, 17-14, in the 2019 state championship game. Oconee County features another Cavalier commit, linebacker West Weeks.
“Yessir Ty! They’re getting a steal,” tweeted Furnish’s former teammate, UNC-bound running back Victor Green. “See ya soon in the ACC.”
Of Virginia’s 14 commitments in this class, four hail from the Peach State – Furnish, Weeks, defensive lineman Hugh Laughlin of Athens Academy (Athens), and running back Amaad Foston of John Milledge Academy (Milledgeville). The Commonwealth of Virginia has also produced four of the Cavaliers’ class of 2021 recruits.
Virginia Football’s Class of 2021
Continuing with the versatility theme covered in Thursday’s recruiting article on outside linebackers, Furnish seems to be a good fit for UVA on either side of the ball. Offensive line, which may be the biggest remaining need in the class, is where he is being recruited, but he has potential as a defensive linemen in Mendenhall’s defense if offense doesn’t work out. That is an added benefit for the Hoos.
Coach Mendenhall said last week that he wants to sign four offensive linemen in 2021. Furnish presumably takes one of those spots, leaving three more left to fill.
– Jesiah Davis, Wide Receiver, Providence Day (Charlotte, N.C.)
– Malachi Fields, Athlete, Monticello (Charlottesville, VA)
– Amaad Foston, Running Back, John Milledge Academy (Milledgeville, GA)
– Ty Furnish, Offensive Lineman, Blessed Trinity Catholic (Roswell, GA)
– Micah Gaffney, Cornerback, Spanish Fort (AL)
– Michael Green, Linebacker, Lafayette (Williamsburg, VA)
– Hugh Laughlin, Defensive Lineman, Athens Academy (Athens, GA)
– Langston Long, Safety/Linebacker, Christ School (Arden, N.C.)
– Josh McCarron, Outside Linebacker, Archbishop Murphy (Everett, WA)
– Jacob Rodriguez, Dual-Threat Quarterback, Rider (Wichita Falls, TX)
– Aidan Ryan, Defensive Back, James Monroe (Fredericksburg, VA)
– William Simpkins III, Cornerback, Quince Orchard (Gaithersburg, MD)
– West Weeks, Linebacker, Oconee County (Watkinsville, GA)
– Jay Woolfolk, Dual-Threat Quarterback, Benedictine (Richmond, VA)