University of Virginia football linebacker commit West Weeks led a stout defensive effort as Oconee County (Watkinsville, GA) defeated Veterans, 14-6. Weeks’ outing headlines the performances of UVA’s 2021 Class this past week.
The Warriors, undefeated through five games in 2020, have allowed an average of 6.8 points per game as opponents have reached double-digit scoring just once against head coach Travis Noland’s defense. In this article, Coach Noland told Seth Ellerbee of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Weeks and other senior leaders are a big reason why the defense has been so successful.
“West Weeks, Justin Coleman and several of those guys who played last year on the defense have done a really good job of getting us in the right places at the right times,” Noland said in this article.
The 6’2”, 225-pound Weeks had an impressive interception with Veterans in Oconee County territory last week. Check out this and two other highlights of Weeks from last week’s victory in the video below (courtesy of Hudl.com).
Rodriguez, Rider Off To 3-0 Start
Dual-threat quarterback Jacob Rodriguez tossed touchdown passes on his team’s first two possessions, spurring Rider (Wichita Falls, TX) on to a 48-10 win over Hirschi. The Virginia-bound signal caller went down with an injury and would not return; however, Cory Hogue of the Times Record News reports here that Rodriguez was cleared to return but held out “as a precaution.”
Rodriguez finished with 45 yards passing and two touchdowns and 13 yards on two carries. Rider (3-0) is scheduled to face Coronado on October 16.
Here is how the rest of UVA’s 2021 Class fared this past week …
– John Milledge Academy (Milledgeville, GA) rolled to a 40-0 win over Gatewood to improve to 4-0. UVA-bound running back recruit Amaad Foston has not played a regular season game due to a leg injury.
– UVA’s newest commit – Under Armour All-American offensive line prospect Noah Josey – helped Brentwood Academy down Montgomery Bell, 24-14. Brentwood Academy is a perfect 8-0.
– Offensive line commit Charlie Patterson and Fellowship Christian (Roswell, GA) downed St. Francis, 58-7, to move to 5-0.
– Defensive line recruit Hugh Laughlin and his Athens Academy (Athens, GA) teammates remain unbeaten (5-0) in 2020 after a 35-7 victory over Hebron Christian Academy last week.
– Christ School (Arden, N.C.), which features UVA linebacker commit Langston Long, is still in search of its first win of 2020. The Greenies (0-2) lost to Abbeville (S.C.), 35-21, this past week. Coming up this Saturday is a rematch with Rabun Gap-Nacoochie, which edged Christ School by three points on September 25.
– Spanish Fort (AL) beat Blount, 14-10, and is now 5-2 on the season. Future Hoo Micah Gaffney stars at cornerback for the Toros, who have reeled off five consecutive wins.
– Bradley Central (Cleveland, TN) is 5-2 after falling to Maryville, 35-13. Its returning starting quarterback, UVA athlete commit Javin Burke, is sidelined for the season with a shoulder injury.