“Home away from home!!!”
That is how Westfield (Houston, TX) rising senior defensive line prospect Anthony Holmes Jr. described the University of Virginia following his official visit on Grounds this past weekend. The 6’2”, 275-pound is the latest prospect to commit to UVA football’s class of 2022.
— Anthony “AJ” Holmes Jr (@AnthonyJr10_) June 7, 2021
The District 14-6A Defensive MVP as a junior last season, Holmes Jr. is rated a 3-star prospect by 247Sports.com and Rivals.com. 247 considers him to be the no. 84 defensive line prospect in the nation in his class, as well as the no. 72 overall rising senior in the Lone Star State. Colorado, Duke, Houston, Indiana, Memphis, SMU, Southern Miss, South Florida, Tulane and Tulsa joined Virginia in having offered the promising defender a scholarship prior to his commitment to the Hoos.
In addition to his Defensive MVP honors, Holmes Jr. earned a spot on the district All-Academic team.
Virginia Football’s Class Of 2022
UVA’s class of 2022 grows to seven with the commitment from Holmes Jr., who becomes the second class of 2022 prospect to pledge to the Cavaliers since the recruiting dead period ended May 31. Quarterback Davis Lane committed to UVA this past Saturday.
Virginia Football Class Of 2022 Commitments
– Stevie Bracey, Linebacker, 6’1”, 215 pounds, The Lovett School (Atlanta, GA)
– Karson Gay, Tight End, 6’6”, 225 pounds, Boyd Buchanan (Chattanooga, TN)
– Will Hardy, Defensive Back, 6’2”, 185 pounds, Greater Atlanta Christian (Norcross, GA)
– Anthony Holmes Jr., Defensive Lineman, 6’2”, 275 pounds, Westfield (Houston, TX)
– Davis Lane, Quarterback, 6’2”, 195 pounds, Liberty Christian Academy (Lynchburg, VA)
– Trey McDonald, Linebacker, 6’4”, 225 pounds, Baylor (Chattanooga, TN)
– Dakota Twitty, Wide Receiver, 6’5”, 215 pounds, Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy (Mooresboro, N.C.)
Defensive line is a position UVA has addressed significantly the previous two classes, signing four prospects in the incoming first-year class and three more in the class of 2019 (Four if you count Brandon Williams, who is now listed as a DL on UVA’s official roster. He was listed as a linebacker.). Holmes Jr. has the makeup of a versatile, athletic playmaker who could play multiple spots on the line. UVA’s projected 2022 scholarship D-line is now as follows:
Seniors: Aaron Faumui, Jordan Redmond, Samson Reed
Juniors: Jahmeer Carter, Nusi Malani, Ben Smiley III
Sophomores: Su Agunloye, Brandon Williams
Redshirt Freshmen or Sophomores: Bryce Carter, Michael Diatta, Hugh Laughlin, Lorenz Terry
Class of 2022 Commits: Anthony Holmes Jr.