One of the bright spots of Virginia football’s 2021 defense was the play of true freshman linebacker West Weeks. The first year inside linebacker out of Georgia played in 11 of UVA’s 12 games, totaling 31 tackles including one sack, five quarterback hurries and two pass breakups.
Weeks figured to play a major role in the resurgence of the Virginia defense. That no longer appears likely, as the 6’2″, 235-pound standout has entered the transfer portal and appears headed out of Charlottesville.
— west.weeks (@weeks_west) January 3, 2022
Weeks was part of a talented class of first-year linebackers at Virginia. The group also includes Mike Green, James Jackson and Joshua McCarron, who all are expected to return. After impressing last spring, Jackson played in 10 games this past season, seeing most of his time on special teams. Green played in only six games but saw his role on defense grow near the end of the season. McCarron did not play any games, preserving his redshirt.
In light of the decisions of Weeks and Noah Taylor, who is using his final year of eligibility at UNC, Virginia’s projected 2022 linebacking corps looks like this:
– Nick Jackson (2022 class designation – Sr)
– T.C. Harrison (Sr)
– Josh Ahern (Jr)
– Hunter Stewart (Jr)
– Sam Brady (Soph)
– Stevie Bracey (Fr)
– Chico Bennett IV (Jr)
– D’Sean Perry (Jr)
– Jonathan Horton (Soph)
– Mike Green (Soph)
– James Jackson (Soph)
– Joshua McCarron (R-Fr)
– Trey McDonald (Fr)
Twenty Virginia student athletes have entered the transfer portal this offseason. Two – tight end Joshua Rawlings and defensive end Olasunkonmi Agunloye – have withdrawn and are returning to UVA. Offensive tackle Ryan Swoboda and defensive lineman Aaron Faumui are key contributors who still could return.
UVA Scholarship Players In The Portal (Note: Those with * are seniors with extra eligibility because of COVID.)
– Ira Armstead, QB, Redshirt Freshman – Transferring to Eastern Illinois
– Jacob Rodriguez, QB, True Freshman – Will not return to Virginia
– Wayne Taulapapa, RB, Senior* – Will not return to Virginia
– Jaylon Baker, WR/DB, Redshirt Junior
– Jesiah Davis, WR, True Freshman
– Ugo Obasi, WR, Junior – Indicated via Instagram that he will not return to Virginia
– Joshua Rawlings, TE, Redshirt Freshman – Has reportedly withdrawn from the transfer portal, will stay at UVA
– Kariem Al Soufi, OG, Redshirt Sophomore
– Joe Bissinger, OG, Redshirt Junior – Transferring to SMU
– Bobby Haskins, OL, Senior* – Transferring to Southern California
– Olusegun Oluwatimi, C, Senior* – Transferring to Michigan
– Ryan Swoboda, OT, Senior*
– Aaron Faumui, DL, Junior
– Nusi Malani, DL, Sophomore – Transferring to Washington State
– Olasunkonmi Agunloye, DL, Redshirt Freshman – Has withdrawn from the portal, intends to stay at UVA
– Jordan Redmond, DL, Redshirt Junior – Will not return to Virginia.
– Noah Taylor, LB, Senior* – Transferring to North Carolina
– West Weeks, LB, Freshman
– Tenyeh Dixon, DB, Redshirt Freshman – Transferring to Elizabeth City State
– Joseph White, DB, Redshirt Junior
Players Transferring To UVA
– Devin Chandler, WR, Redshirt Freshman, University of Wisconsin. Signed with Virginia in December of 2021, plans to enroll in January of 2022. Will have at least three years of eligibility remaining, perhaps another if he uses the COVID year.
Welcome to the Virginia family, @devinkchandler!
— Virginia Cavaliers (@VirginiaSports) December 15, 2021