University of Virginia senior offensive tackle Ryan Swoboda will spend his final year of eligibility at the University of Central Florida, meaning UVA football will feature a completely new offensive line in new head coach Tony Elliott’s first season.
— Ryan Swoboda (@ryan_swoboda) January 12, 2022
Swoboda is a native of Clermont, Florida, which is roughly 30 minutes outside of Orlando. As he mentioned in the tweet above, he’ll be returning home to use the extra year of eligibility afforded to him by the NCAA because of the “coronavirus season” of 2020.
After redshirting his first year in Charlottesville, Swoboda played 45 career games over the next four seasons. The 6’10”, 325-pound standout started 21 of 22 games the past two seasons, playing right tackle and protecting quarterback Brennan Armstrong’s blindside.
No full-time starter from Virginia football’s rock-solid starting offensive line of 2021 will be returning. Full-time starting center Olusegun Oluwatimi (Michigan) and tackle Bobby Haskins (USC), who started seven games for the Hoos this past season, have chosen to use their final year of eligibility elsewhere. Joe Bissinger, who started the first four games of 2021 at left guard and played in all 12 contests, has multiple years of eligibility remaining but has transferred to SMU. Full-time starting right guard Chris Glaser has no eligibility remaining. Another full-time starter, tackle/guard Ryan Nelson, will not be using his extra COVID year.
Virginia signed zero offensive line prospects in the class of 2022 Early Signing Period. As the projected 2022 season roster looks right now, Virginia has eight scholarship offensive linemen. Rising redshirt junior Jonathan Leech is the only returning Cavalier with any starting experience. He played in nine games this past season, earning two starts at tackle. Redshirt freshman center Jestus Johnson III and first-years Ty Furnish (center), Noah Josey (guard) and Logan Taylor (guard/tackle) headline a talented group of young but inexperienced players.
Projected Virginia Offensive Line, 2022 (Scholarship Players Only)
– Derek Devine, Tackle, Redshirt Senior (Uncertain if he will return as he has only appeared in eight games in four seasons.)
– Ty Furnish, Center, Redshirt Freshman
– Jestus Johnson III, Center/Guard, Redshirt Sophomore
– Noah Josey, Guard, Redshirt Freshman
– Jonathan Leech, Tackle, Redshirt Junior
– Charlie Patterson, Tackle/Guard, Redshirt Freshman
– Logan Taylor, Tackle/Guard, Redshirt Freshman
– Zachary Teter, Guard, Redshirt Junior
So what’s next for the offensive line? Well, it’s crystal clear that UVA needs depth and experience. In terms of players already on the roster, true freshman Hugh Laughlin was recruited by former head coach Bronco Mendenhall as a defensive lineman. Other schools pursued him to play on offense, though, so he could be a player who could switch positions.
Outside of current players, UVA has been active in recruiting transfers, high school seniors, and even a junior college prospect. Wherever they can find them, Coach Elliott and staff have their work cut out to bolster the position before next season.
UVA Scholarship Players In The Portal (Note: Those with * are seniors with extra eligibility because of COVID.)
– Ira Armstead, QB, Redshirt Freshman – Transferring to Eastern Illinois
– Jacob Rodriguez, QB, True Freshman – Transferred to Texas Tech
– Wayne Taulapapa, RB, Senior* – Will not return to Virginia
– Jaylon Baker, WR/DB, Redshirt Junior
– Jesiah Davis, WR, True Freshman
– Ugo Obasi, WR, Junior – Indicated via Instagram that he will not return to Virginia
– Joshua Rawlings, TE, Redshirt Freshman – Has reportedly withdrawn from the transfer portal, will stay at UVA
– Kariem Al Soufi, OG, Redshirt Sophomore
– Joe Bissinger, OG, Redshirt Junior – Transferring to SMU
– Bobby Haskins, OL, Senior* – Transferring to Southern California
– Olusegun Oluwatimi, C, Senior* – Transferring to Michigan
– Ryan Swoboda, OT, Senior* – Transferring to Central Florida
– Aaron Faumui, DL, Junior
– Nusi Malani, DL, Sophomore – Transferring to Washington State
– Olasunkonmi Ogunloye, DL, Redshirt Freshman – Has withdrawn from the portal, intends to stay at UVA
– Jordan Redmond, DL, Redshirt Junior – Will not return to Virginia.
– Noah Taylor, LB, Senior* – Transferring to North Carolina
–West Weeks, LB, Freshman
– Tenyeh Dixon, DB, Redshirt Freshman – Transferring to Elizabeth City State
– Joseph White, DB, Redshirt Junior
Players Transferring To UVA
– Devin Chandler, WR, Redshirt Freshman, University of Wisconsin. Signed with Virginia in December of 2021, plans to enroll in January of 2022. Will have at least three years of eligibility remaining, perhaps another if he uses the COVID year.
Welcome to the Virginia family, @devinkchandler!
— Virginia Cavaliers (@VirginiaSports) December 15, 2021