While basketball season ended for Virginia, there’s still plenty of interesting things on fans’ radars right now. The UVA football started spring practice and there’s a transfer feeding frenzy going on in college basketball with more than 1,000 student-athletes interested in moving on to new schools. There have been conversations on both fronts on the message boards.
On the football side, the Cavaliers get a chance at spring practice after sitting out last spring in the early stages of the pandemic. Virginia coach Bronco Mendenhall told reporters this week that he didn’t realize how much the program would miss spring practice until it happened. “Quite frankly without spring practice, I underestimated that value and I underestimated the summer value of training together,” he said. More Mendenhall thoughts on the juggling act of the last year can be found in this article.
Fans, meanwhile, have dug into some football topics as the Hoos begin the journey toward the 2021 season. Here are a few examples.
- Likely depth at RB? What is the expectations for depth at running back? Who will be receiving the bulk of RB carries this year? ~ WahooRAH
- I am really looking forward to more Armstrong-Henry connections this season. ~ QBSacker
- True freshman linebacker James Jackson receiving some praise. ~ Chris Horne
The basketball conversations, meanwhile, have been frequent as fans try to evaluate the reasons Casey Morsell, Justin McKoy, and Jabri Abdur-Rahim left the program while also trying to figure out what path the program can take on the transfer/recruiting trails to find replacements. There are a lot of names flying around from UNC’s Walker Kessler (Carolina coach Roy Williams retired this week too) to East Carolina’s Jayden Gardner and many more. The Sabre article rounding up a lot of the names is here.
Here are some of the many threads on the basketball front surrounding roster questions for the Wahoos.
- ECU’s Gardner tells Stock Risers he wants to have a decision within 3 weeks. ~ Kris
- Gardner’s comments on the zoom call. ~ RaleighHOO
- Cast your eyes toward Noah Gurley. 6′ 8″ Junior from Furman. ~ Five Pillar
- Add Jordan Geronimo to the list. ~ hooshouse
- Sabre board crystal ball – who is coming to Virginia? ~ hoo1986
- #1 lesson for recruiting HS kids from here on out. Be gracious when they pick another school. They may well come back around in a year or 2. ~ BuckHoo
- Anyone heard anything about which schools have reached out to Casey, McKoy and Jabri? ~ EmbraceThePace
- Murphy now up to 37 on Vecenie’s new big board today. Gulp. ~ Haney
Let’s look at weekly fan picks to wrap things up.
Fan(s) Of The Week
Thumbs up if you still love the Hoos!
Student Fan(s) Of The Week
The Hoo Crew will be excited to get back to the JPJ.
Feature Photo Of The Week
Maybe UVA should recruit this guy? Looks like he’s strong with a good pivot.