Fans had patiently waited – well, waited at least – for the release of the ACC basketball schedule and Thursday evening finally brought the news that hoops fans wanted. The conference announced the dates on the ACC Network and Virginia knows it opens with Pittsburgh at home and finishes with Louisville on the road.
There are several interesting pieces of UVA’s league schedule in between those two games. First, here is the full line-up.
— Virginia Men’s Basketball (@UVAMensHoops) September 16, 2021
A few things jump out for the Hoos:
- How about that three-game road trip near the start of ACC play? UVA will travel to Syracuse, Clemson, and North Carolina in an eight-day span to kick off the New Year.
- Four of the first eight games come against Pittsburgh and Clemson.
- The Wahoos play four of six games at home from Jan. 24 to Feb. 12, which isn’t a bad time to have that home crowd boost as the grind of the season sets in.
- Virginia Tech makes its first trip to the John Paul Jones Arena since Jan. 4, 2020 on Jan. 12, 2022.
- Virginia plays in three ACC Big Monday contests where there’s a one-day break between games on Saturday and Monday. Two of the three are on the road. That includes trips to Duke and Virginia Tech on consecutive Mondays.
- The Cavaliers play back-to-back home games four different times in the schedule. That includes the final two home games of the season against Duke and Florida State, a pair of programs frequently in the top four double bye battle for the ACC Tournament with Virginia.
- For those hoping for a break from the ACC Network broadcasts, UVA is scheduled to appear on the conference network nine times. Nine other games are scheduled for ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU. That leaves two games to appear elsewhere, likely on Regional Sports Networks.
Fans have started to discuss the schedule as well. Check out these three threads:
- Here it is. ~ sfb123
- 6 road ACC games in January. ~ Beachwahoo
- Our ACC schedule looks pretty good. We don’t hit the road until January … ~ Hootr
The Cavaliers tip off the season against Navy on Tuesday, Nov. 9. While the wait for the season to start continues, let’s look at the rest of the Fan Friday feature.
Fan(s) Of The Week
Thank you for your service Wahoos. This fan was recognized during the ‘please stand if you served in the military’ moment at the last game.
Student Fan(s) Of The Week
At the game on crutches with your friends? That’s a fan of the week pick for sure.
Feature Photo Of The Week
Virginia receiver Billy Kemp IV is off to a good start this season with 10 catches for 110 yards and 1 touchdown.