With the Virginia football team on a bye week and the countdown clock officially under 30 days, basketball takes center stage this weekend at UVA. The Cavalier men’s and women’s hoops teams will host a joint scrimmage on Saturday as the unofficial start of the upcoming season.
The event at the John Paul Jones Arena begins with the women’s team on the court at 1:30 p.m. followed by the men’s club at approximately 2:15. The women will hold a scrimmage against their men’s practice squad in the first public look at Amaka “Mox” Agugua-Hamilton’s first team at Virginia. The men’s team will play an intrasquad scrimmage with players divided into two teams with the possibility of some players flipping sides during the game as in past years. Doors at the JPJ open at 12:30 for the Blue-White Scrimmage.
Admission and parking are free. There will be a “Meet the Teams” session for 30 minutes following the action.
The opportunity to see the two teams on the court fired up Virginia fans during the week. Here are a few threads discussing the upcoming season:
- The eternal argument of “play the young talent over returning lower rated vets. – Wahoo2000
- I think Tony is definitely coaching with a chip on his shoulder this year. – HillaryHoo2U
- Per Rothstein cast w Bennett, seems Tony wants first years to focus on their opportunities for next season, after all of our upper classmen leave. – TJeffersonHoo
- Coach is so positive about the first years I blame him for my Final Four expectations/hopes. – hooshouse
- CTB “I look at what our program has..built and I’ll never apologize for it.” Tony coming out firing this season. – hoosno1
- How many minute will Kihei average this year? – WahooRAH
- My Pre-Season ACC Standing Prediction. – RaleighHoo
Stay tuned for coverage from the scrimmage. In the meantime, check out the weekly fan picks.
Fan(s) Of The Week
That Good Old Song of Wahoowa …
Student Fan(s) Of the Week
Feature Photo Of The Week
Fired up about the Hoos.