The internet home for Hoos anywhere and everywhere.

Virginia Mens Basketball Board

Bourbon Bowl

Joined: 01/24/2002 Posts: 12110
Likes: 8121


This article from 2014 sheds some insight...the numbers obviously don't


reflect the most recent deals, but assuming for the sake of argument that the NCAA is still taking 40% of the annual pie, and the other 60% is being doled out to the 32 conferences.

The money gets divided up to conferences based on each conference's participation and performance. The 2021 Tournament field had 34/68 P5 schools, exactly half. Generally, P5 schools performed better, with 10 in the S16, and 6 in the Elite 8 (apparently Final Four doesn't count). I'm estimating the P5 then took slightly more than half of the conference pool, the rest to be divided up by the remaining 27 conferences. Then each conference has their own way of distributing its shares to the member schools.

So that has me guestimating the P5 conference share to be ~30% of the Tournament Revenues. And less say that the annual revenues are right now worth $1B. That's $300M to the P5, and if distributed evenly, $4.6M per school.

Now lets say the P5 put on its own tournament that very conservatively brings in only 2/3 of the current tournament money, or $666M per year. Lets say 10% goes to P5 governance/overhead. Splitting $600M 65 ways is $9.2M per school, twice the current payouts. At least based on my wild, back of the napkin assumptions.

Again, that's just tournament payouts. That doesn't include whatever payouts P5 basketball garners from the conference media deals, home arena ticket revenues, conference tournament revenues, etc.

(In response to this post by Haney)

Link: WaPo on the NCAA Tournament money pool


Posted: 10/21/2021 at 2:58PM



+2

Insert a Link

Enter the title of the link here:


Enter the full web address of the link here -- include the "http://" part:


Current Thread:
  Simple greed. Leave it alone. ** -- OstHoo 10/21/2021 6:01PM
  Leave it alone! -- VBHoo2001 10/21/2021 11:31AM
  Amen!!!!’ ** -- Hoos4life 10/21/2021 12:41PM
  My thinking, for years, has been the opposite -- 73CAV 10/21/2021 10:46AM
  That would be terrible -- ThatDadgumBiscuit 10/21/2021 10:40AM
  Started reading and... -- hoopsdude 10/21/2021 10:21AM
  Stupid ** -- davemcsr 10/21/2021 09:38AM
  Delete ** -- hoopsdude 10/21/2021 10:18AM
  Bye Gonzaga ** -- HoosNArlington 10/21/2021 09:13AM
  A farewell to mustaches ** -- truebluehoo01 10/21/2021 09:23AM

Get the Sabre Edge!

Subscribe to TheSabre.com!

UVA Hoops Fans, Check Out Intangible

vm311