Got back from our mid-week trip yesterday. Stayed at the Foundry, which was a great choice. Fantastic location, with a very friendly and helpful staff. Doorman actually gave us a ride in the hotel Tesla to get cocktails on a rainy evening. Was not excited about having to eat at the hotel restaurant (Benne on Eagle) when pretty much every other place was booked or closed on Tuesday, but it was surprisingly good, if not on quite on par with our other dinners.
But really, every meal was a home run. Highlights:
- 12 Bones - Probably the best brisket I've ever had. Grits were amazing too.
- Curate - jamon and cheese charcuterie melted in our mouths. The paella style noodles with squid was rich and delicious. And the goxua (kind of a Spanish tiramisu) with a sweet sherry is on the Mt. Rushmore of greatest desserts I've eaten.
- Chestnut - Amazing shrimp & grits with a super smoky sausage. And the "It's the Nibs" cocktail (Bourbon, Chokolat Liqueur, Amaretto, Demerara Syrup, Chocolate Bitters) went down like a fat kid on a seesaw.
- The Med (breakfast) - Hash Bowl was massive and delicious.
- Sunny Point Cafe (breakfast, in West Asheville) - fantastic biscuit sandwiches and grits.
My doc would be appalled at the amount of calories I ate and drank over 72 short hours. I'll be on a starvation diet for a few days to make up for it but it was well worth it.