The “Week In Review” is back with a look at how UVa’s recruits are performing on the gridiron in the 2014 season. We begin with last week’s headliners, led by Altavista (VA) quarterback/defensive back Juan Thornhill, who has been a consistent playmaker all year long for his team…
Notable Performances From UVa Recruits Last Week
– Thornhill racked up four touchdowns (3 rush, 1 pass) as Altavista (VA) downed Rustburg, 34-0, to improve to 9-0. He had five touchdowns in the previous week’s win.
– Safety prospect David Curry had one sack in a 44-0 victory last week. Curry’s sack forced a fumble that was returned for a touchdown by Buford’s Quay Picou. The Wolves remain unbeaten at 9-0.
– Wide receiver David Eldridge III set a single game school record for receptions with 11, finishing with 102 yards receiving in Kettle Run’s 42-0 loss to fellow Virginia recruit RJ Proctor and Liberty (Bealeton, VA). Eldridge III added 114 yards on five returns (kick and punt returns combined).
Kettle Run is 6-3.
– Cornerback recruit Kareem Gibson got the job done on offense last week, finishing with two carries for 36 yards and a touchdown and two receptions for 37 yards in Greater Johnstown’s 49-21 win over Cambria Heights. The Trojans (7-3) travel to Clearfield this evening.
The following UVa recruits were victorious last week…
– OL Ryan Bischoff, Plymouth Whitemarsh High School (Plymouth Meeting, PA), 7 wins – 3 losses
– OL/DT Eli Hanback, Patrick Henry (Ashland, VA), 5-4
– QB Nick Johns, Gonzaga (Washington, D.C.), 7-2
– LB Kareem McDonald, Wilson (Washington, D.C.), 6-4. Wilson has won four straight games.
– OL Grant Polk (Charlotte, 5-3)
– OL RJ Proctor, Liberty (Bealeton, VA), 8-1
– ATH Myles Robinson, Good Counsel (Olney, MD), 9-1. The Falcons were perfect in the WCAC this regular season. Now on to the WCAC postseason tourney.
– RB Christopher Sharp, Hun School (Princeton, N.J.), 6-1
– LB Jahvoni Simmons, Ocean Lakes (Virginia Beach, VA), 8-0
– LB C.J. Stalker, Lakota West (West Chester, OH), 5-5. The win, along with some help, gave the Firebirds a playoff berth.
– DT James Trucilla (Cathedral Prep, 10-0)
– DL Brandon Wilson (West Orange, 9-0)
The following future Hoos lost last week…
– Class of 2016 WR Cole Blackman, Glen Allen (VA), 1-8
– TE Richard Burney Jr., Hickory (Chesapeake, VA), 1-8
– DE Rasool Clemons, South Aiken (Aiken, S.C.), 2-8
– TE Tanner Cowley, Manasquan (N.J.), 3-4
– DE Gladimir Paul, Northeast (Philadelphia, PA), 4-6
– Olamide Zaccheaus, a senior all-purpose tailback out of St. Joseph’s Prep (5-3), was on a bye. So was class of 2016 WR Joseph Reed, a top athlete out of Randolph-Henry (Charlotte Court House, VA). Randolph-Henry is 1-8.