The second of three Division 1 men’s basketball recruiting Evaluation Periods begins today and lasts through Sunday, July 19. Before addressing the major events to watch out for this week, let’s recap how UVa’s commitments played last week as well as the latest scholarship offer news.
Iona Prep (New Rochelle, N.Y.) combo guard Ty Jerome and Lawrence Central (Indianapolis, IN) Kyle Guy played well, with Jerome competing with the PSA Cardinals at Nike’s Peach Jam and Guy playing with the Indiana Elite at the Adidas Uprising Gauntlet Finale.
Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog.com and respected basketball recruiting analyst Tom Konchalski named a first-team, second-team, and honorable mention all-Peach Jam performers. The 6’4″ Jerome was one of six players named to the Honorable Mention list. The Virginia-bound rising senior averaged 11 points per game in five games at Peach Jam, including an 18-point performance against top rising junior recruit Michael Porter Jr. and MOKAN Elite. Jerome didn’t shoot the ball particularly well, making just 34-percent of his field goals and only 23.8-percent of his 3s, but he is known as a much better shooter. Forty-four percent of his shots were from beyond the arc.
Jerome made 18 of his 20 free throw attempts, good for a 90-percent clip. Rebounding and assist information was only through four games (based on what I found on D1Circuit.com), but in those four games Jerome averaged 6.5 assists, 4 rebounds, 2.8 turnovers and 2.25 steals per game.
In 16 games on the Nike EYBL circuit, Jerome averaged 11.6 points per game while making 46.2-percent of his field goals – including 39-percent (23-59) of his 3s – and 87.5-percent (42-48) of his free throws. Jerome averaged 3.6 assists to only one turnover per game.
The PSA Cardinals went a perfect 5-0 in Pool Play before falling to Team Takeover in overtime in the quarterfinals.
In four games at the Adidas event, Cavalier commit Kyle Guy averaged 17 points while shooting 38.5-percent from the field, including 41.6-percent from 3-point range. He had 21 rebounds, 8 assists and 5 turnovers in those four games. Indiana Elite went 2-2 in Atlanta last week.
UVa extended two new scholarship offers to class of 2016 recruits in the past week. One went to MacArthur (Irving, TX) shooting guard Andrew Jones and the other to IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) power forward Romello White. The former played great at the Peach Jam, while the latter enjoyed a successful week at Adidas.
Jones, a 6’4″, 185-pound prospect, also boasts offers from Arizona, Baylor, Kansas State, SMU, Texas, TCU, Virginia Tech and others. White, a 6’9″ prospect, has also been offered by Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Mississippi, SMU and Tennessee, among others.
July Evaluation Period No. 2: Adidas All-American Camp
Kyle Guy will participate in the Adidas Uprising All-American Camp, which begins today and lasts through Friday, July 17. Below is a listing of those known UVa targets also expected to compete at the event in Brookville, New York (Click here to read the complete list of prospects)…
– Edrice Adebayo, PF, Class of 2016, UVa offer
– Alex Barcello, PG, Class of 2017, UVA OFFER
– Mamadi Diakite, PF, Class of 2016, UVA OFFER
– Wenyen Gabriel, PF, Class of 2016, UVA OFFER
– Jalen Johnson, SF, Class of 2016, No offer from UVa
– Nick Rakocevic, PF, Class of 2016, UVA OFFER
– Aamir Sims, F, Class of 2017, No offer from UVa
– Lindy Waters, SG/SF, Class of 2016, No offer from UVa
– Romello White, PF, Class of 2016, UVA OFFER
July Evaluation Period No. 2: Nike Global Challenge
The Nike Global Challenge, which begins today and lasts through Saturday, features four U.S. teams — USA East, USA South, USA Midwest and USA West — as well as Canada, China, Dominican Republic and Pan Africa. Ty Jerome will play for USA East along with one of UVa’s top class of 2017 point guard targets, Matt Coleman.
Virginia class of 2016 power forward target Tyler Cook will play for USA Midwest. Class of 2017 point guard target Trae Young will play for USA West and class of 2017 center Zach Brown will play for USA South.
Pool play begins Thursday and carries into Friday. On Saturday, 2nd Place Pool A takes on 2nd Place Pool B before the championship game, which pits 1st Place Pool A versus 1st Place Pool B.
Pool A includes Canada, Dominican Republic, USA Midwest and USA West. Pool B includes China, Pan Africa, USA East and USA South.
Under Armour AAU, Other Events Of Note
– The Under Armour Association Finals take place in Atlanta this week. DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, MD) combo guard Markelle Fultz added offers from Kentucky and UNC as the result of his play at last week’s Under Armour All-America Camp. The standout rising senior will be in action this week at the Under Armour Association Finals. As will class of 2016 forward Sacha Killeya-Jones. At this point, though, Virginia is probably a long shot for both players.
– Ty Lawson & Victor Oladipo All American Camp, July 14-17 at DeMatha Catholic High School (Hyattsville, MD)
– CP3 Live, a Phenom Hoop Report event held in Winston-Salem, N.C.
– NY2LA Sports Summer Jam in Wisconsin.