Quarterback Sonny Abramson, running backs Tre Harbison and Laderrien Wilson, and linebacker Landan Word are among the Virginia-bound football recruits featured in “Gridiron Stars” as a result of their performances last week.
– Sparta (N.J.) Pope John XXIII captured its first win of the 2015 season, downing High Point by a score of 38-13. UVa-bound quarterback Sonny Abramson tossed an 18-yard touchdown pass in the win.
– Tailback Tre Harbison compiled 188 yards of offense (100 rushing, 88 receiving) and scored two touchdowns (1 rush, 1 receiving) as Shelby (N.C.) Crest rolled to a 38-10 win over Roberson. The Chargers are now 4-0.
– UVa’s newest commitment, tailback Laderrien Wilson, rushed for 210 yards and two touchdowns as Kissimmee (FL) Osceola defeated Winter Haven, 27-18, to move to 4-0 on the season.
– Wayne (N.J.) DePaul Catholic wide receiver Hasise Dubois had four catches for 65 yards and a touchdown in a 20-7 loss to St. Joseph’s. DePaul is now 1-2.
– Linebacker/athlete Landan Word (no. 11) and the Bishop O’Connell (Arlington, VA) Knights are 1-2 after last week’s 34-15 win over Fork Union Military Academy’s prep squad. Word’s highlights (courtesy of MaxPreps) from the game are below.
– Middle linebacker prospect Robert Snyder helped Suwanee (GA) Collins Hill notch its first win of the 2015 season. The Eagles raced out to a 25-0 lead before surrendering 21 straight points to North Gwinnett. Collins Hill (1-3) then pulled away for the 52-23 win.
Check out highlights of Snyder’s senior season here…
– UVa-bound safety prospect Jordan Mack had a 4-yard touchdown run in helping Norcross (GA) Wesleyan (4-0) to a 38-6 win over KIPP Atlanta.
– Harrisburg (PA) Bishop McDevitt has won three straight to start the 2015 season following last week’s 41-14 victory over Cumberland Valley. UVa-bound cornerback/wide receiver Bryce Hall had six receptions for 74 yards in the win.
– Nick Grant, a senior two-way standout for Spotsylvania (VA) Courtland, hauled in touchdown receptions of 28 and 33 yards in the Cougars’ 43-0 win over Fauquier. Courtland has now won three straight games after dropping its season opener by only one point.
Here is how the rest of UVa’s class of 2016 recruits fared last week:
WON: Darrius Bratton, CB/WR, Roanoke (VA) William Fleming (2-2); Ben Knutson, OL, Mishawaka (IN) Penn (3-1); Chris Moore, DB, Ashburn (VA) Broad Run (4-0); Neru NShaka, WR, Hallandale (FL) (3-0); Joseph Reed, WR, Charlotte Court House (VA) Randolph-Henry (2-2); Dillon Reinkensmeyer, OL, Highlands Ranch (CO) Valor Christian (2-2); Stephen Spanellis, OL, Baltimore (MD) Gilman (3-1); Andrew Trainer, TE, Alexandria (VA) St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (2-1)
LOST: Christian Baumgardner, TE, Ocean City (N.J.) (0-2); Cole Blackman, WR, Glen Allen (VA) (0-3); Deedrick Daniels Jr., ATH, Tampa (FL) Chamberlain (0-4); Aidan Howard, ATH, Monroeville (PA) Gateway (2-1); Stephen Moye, DE, Lilburn (GA) Parkview (3-1); Matt Terrell, OLB/DE, Lynchburg (VA) Liberty Christian Academy (2-2)
TWEETS & LINKS
– Head coach Mike London was excited about the commitment of tailback Laderrien Wilson. He can’t comment specifically about Wilson, but he tweeted the following the day the 3-star standout committed.
— Mike London (@CoachMikeLondon) September 21, 2015
– The Orlando Sentinel’s has produced a ranking of the top 100 high school seniors in Florida. Wilson comes in at no. 40. Neither of UVa’s two other Sunshine State commits – Deedrick Daniels Jr. and Neru NShaka – are on the list.
– Basketball recruiting-wise, college coaches are busy attending fall workouts and scouting players. Here are a few players UVa is eyeing per Twitter reports…
– Five-star wing Jaedon LeDee reportedly has offers from all across the country, including Kansas, Kentucky, Texas, UCLA and more. According to this tweet, UVa will be represented at The Kinkaid School (Houston, TX) tomorrow for one of the 6’7″ sophomore’s workouts.
– Adam Finkelstein of ESPN tweeted that UVa was represented at Vermont Academy Hoops today to watch class of 2017 guard Christian David.
THIS WEEK IN RECRUITING
Some of the stories to keep an eye out for this week…
– In June of 2014, Randolph-Henry (Charlotte Court House, VA) wide receiver Joseph Reed became the first class of 2016 prospect to commit to Virginia. This week I’ll have the latest on the 6’2”, 205-pound prospect, who has the physical potential to contribute very early on in his college career.
– This weekend, Virginia is expected to host Fort Lauderdale (FL) Dillard senior linebacker Kenneth Ruff on an official visit this weekend. Stay tuned for the latest on his recruitment.
– Basketball recruiting-wise, I have spoken with 4-star point guard Ty Jerome regarding the official visit he made to Virginia the weekend of September 11-13. Stay tuned for the latest on Jerome as well as class of 2016 forward Jay Huff, who also has committed to the Hoos.