The University of Virginia men’s basketball program hosted sophomore wing Musa Jallow earlier this week on an unofficial visit. The 6’5″, 190-pound prospect arrived on Tuesday and returned home today.
Heading back to btown after an amazing visit to University of Virginia! Great school, staff, campus, everything! I'll be back
— musa aziz jallow (@mjallow21) October 8, 2015
Jallow is a product of Bloomington North High School in Bloomington, Indiana. As of this writing, he has not yet received a scholarship offer from the Hoos.
CLASS OF 2017 NOTES
Coach Tony Bennett and company took to the road the past month or so to catch fall workouts and evaluate talent. With no scholarships available in class of 2016 recruiting, the focus is on high school juniors, sophomores, and freshmen.
As the numbers stand right now, Virginia has one scholarship at its disposal in class of 2017 recruiting. Coach Tony Bennett has extended seven scholarship offers we know of.
– Alex Barcello, PG, Corona Del Sol (Tempe, AZ)
– Matt Coleman, PG, Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, VA)
– Trae Young, PG, Norman North (Norman, OK)
– Greg Floyd, Wing, Desert Pines (Las Vegas, NV)
– Michael Porter Jr., Wing, Father Tolton (Columbia, MO)
– Zach Brown, C, Miami Beach Senior (Miami, FL)
– Ikechukwu Obiagu, C, Greenforest McCalep Christian (Decatur, GA)
Here are some other prospects the staff has shown interest in the past month or so…
– Vermont Academy (VT) head coach Alex Popp tweeted that UVa associate head coach Ron Sanchez stopped by his school on September 22. Vermont Academy boasts fast-rising class of 2017 forward Christian David, a 6’7″, 190-pound prospect who received an offer from Texas Tech earlier this week. Baylor, Creighton, Illinois, Oregon and Providence are among the schools that had already offered.
– Sanchez stopped by Greensboro Day School (Greensboro, N.C.), which boasts class of 2017 wing JP Moorman. College of Charleston and Richmond are among the schools that have offered the 6’6” junior. Shooting guards Will Dillard and John Newman are sophomores at Greensboro Day, and both have at least one Division 1 scholarship offer. Wake Forest reportedly has offered Dillard.
– Dwayne West of Garner Road Basketball Club tweeted that Tony Bennett scouted Mike Okauru, a 6’3” junior combo guard out of Ravenscroft (Raleigh, N.C.). Below are highlights of Okauru, who participated in this year’s NBPA Top 100 Camp. (Highlights posted by The Hoops Column.)
– Cavalier assistant Jason Williford stopped by Jay Robinson High School in Concord, North Carolina. Robinson features class of 2017 point guard Lavar Batts Jr., who reportedly holds an offer from Charlotte and is receiving interest from NC State and Wake Forest.
CLASS OF 2018
– Brentwood Academy (Nashville, TN) point guard Darius Garland and Park View (South Hill, VA) wing Keldon Johnson are the confirmed class of 2018 offers Virginia has extended. Rechon Black, a 6’6″ combo guard, is getting a very serious look from Coach Bennett and company.
Rick Lewis of Phenom Hoops Report tweeted that Bennett scouted Rechon in person last month. To read more on this promising prospect, who boasts early offers from Clemson, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest, click here.
– Per Twitter, sophomores Jamarius Burton and Marcus Richardson were scouted by UVa coaches Williford and Sanchez this fall.
Burton is a combo guard out of Berry Academy in Charlotte, North Carolina. Richardson, a 6’5″ wing, is a North Carolina native who plays for the Lighthouse Christian Eagles, a homeschool athletic program.
– On the class of 2019 front, John Marshall (Rochester, MN) freshman forward Matt Hurt has already received a Division 1 scholarship offer from Iowa State. Per Twitter, UVa’s Brad Soderberg scouted Hurt last month.
Hurt’s older brother, Michael, is a senior and has committed to Minnesota.