Here is latest “Week In Review,” a look at how the University of Virginia football program’s commitments performed on the gridiron the previous week.
– Quarterback Lindell Stone and wide receiver Terrell Jana were terrific each of the past two weeks, helping Woodberry Forest (VA) to wins over defending state champion Benedictine (Richmond) and a solid St. Christopher’s (Richmond) squad.
Stone passed for 380 yards and five touchdowns against Benedictine and 258 yards and three touchdowns against St. Christopher’s. He added 21 yards rushing and a touchdown in the latter victory. Stone did not throw a pick in either game and has not thrown an interception in three straight contests (per MaxPreps).
Jana, who is being recruited by Virginia initially as a defensive back (receiver has not been ruled out, though), had seven receptions for 167 yards and two touchdowns against Benedictine and five catches for 100 yards and a score against St. Christopher’s.
Woodberry Forest is now 7-1 and winners of six straight games.
– Tailback Lamont Atkins rushed eight times for 102 yards and a touchdown as Lake Braddock defeated Mount Vernon, 65-0. The 5’11”, 200-pound senior also had an interception on defense in last week’s win.
An away contest versus South County (7-2) awaits the Bruins (8-1) this Friday night.
– Gulliver Prep (Miami, FL) nose tackle prospect Mandy Alonso racked up eight tackles, including two sacks, as his team downed Hialeah-Miami Lakes, 38-15, to improve to 3-4 on the season. On the year, the future Hoo has amassed 41 tackles (28 solo) with 19 tackles for loss and eight sacks.
– Linebacker/defensive end prospect Charles Snowden is one of St. Albans School’s (Washington, D.C.) top offensive weapons. He showed why in last week’s loss to Episcopal, scoring two receiving touchdowns (67, 23).
St. Albans (4-4) will take on St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes this week. St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes features another UVA-bound senior in defensive end Ryan Thaxton.
– Westfield (Chantilly, VA) cruised to a 48-7 win over Herndon. The Bulldogs have now won three straight contests to improve to 7-2. Place-kicker/punter Brian Delaney, a Virginia commit, connected on two field goals (including a 50-yarder) in last week’s win.
How The Rest Of UVA’s 2017 and 2018 Class Recruits Fared Last Week
– PK Kier, Running Back, Millbrook (Winchester, VA)
Millbrook (8-1) handled Handley, 56-6, despite the fact that Kier did not play. Penn State linebacker recruit Dylan Rivers and Sherando await Millbrook this week. The status of Kier, who has amassed 87 rushes for 924 yards and 11 touchdowns this season, is unclear.
– Darnell Pratt Jr., Wide Receiver, Good Counsel (Olney, MD)
Pratt’s 29-yard touchdown catch helped the Falcons grab a 23-7 halftime lead and ultimately a 51-15 win over St. Mary’s Ryken. The Falcons are 6-3 heading into Friday night’s matchup versus archrival DeMatha.
– Chris Glaser Jr., Offensive Guard, Solon (OH)
After finishing the regular season with a 9-1 record, Solon begins playoff action this week when it faces GlenOak in the Division 1 regional quarterfinals.
– Ryan Nelson, Offensive Tackle, Buena Park (CA)
Buena Park destroyed Sunny Hills, 40-14. The Coyotes are now 8-1 heading into the regular season finale against Troy.
– Tommy Christ, Defensive End, Dominion (Sterling, VA)
Dominion (7-2) won the Conference 21B title after defeating Heritage, 44-14.
– John Kirven, Defensive End, Woodberry Forest (VA)
Kirven had five tackles and notched a half a sack in Woodberry Forest’s win over St. Christopher’s.
– Ryan Thaxton, Defensive End, St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (Alexandria, VA)
St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (3-5) lost to Bullis, 49-3, and has lost four straight heading into this week’s matchup with St. Albans.
– Matt Gahm, Linebacker, Highland Park (Dallas, TX)
Highland Park’s Scots (8-1) defeated Royse City, 49-3. Gahm totaled four tackles including one sack in the win.
– Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Linebacker, Bethel (Hampton, VA)
Bethel (6-4) defeated Gloucester for its third straight win.
– Joey Blount, Free Safety, Landmark Christian (Fairburn, GA)
Landmark Christian (9-0), which defeated Holy Innocents Episcopal last week by a score of 22-14, will take on rival and fellow unbeaten Eagles Landing Christian this week. Blount and the War Eagle defense are allowing 10.8 points per game.
– Darrius Bratton, Cornerback, Fork Union Military Academy (VA)
FUMA’s postgraduate squad defeated Hampton Roads Collegiate Prep, 37-14. Bratton and company are 8-1.
– Zachariah Burton, Defensive Back, William Penn (New Castle, DE)
William Penn defeated Salesianum, 21-14, and now sits at 7-1. Burton, who made his UVA official visit last weekend, had a 4-yard touchdown run in the win.
– Germane Crowell Jr., Defensive Back, Carver (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
Carver defeated West Stokes, 46-2, capturing its third straight win. Crowell Jr. led the way on offense, throwing three touchdown passes. The Yellow Jackets are now 4-6 heading into this week’s contest against South Stokes.
– Noah Taylor, Outside Linebacker, Avalon (Gaithersburg, MD), Class of 2018 Commit
Avalon scored its first win of the 2016 season last week, defeating Riverdale Baptist 26-6. The Black Knights are 1-8.
Tyler Fannin, Center/Offensive Guard, Mill Creek (Hoschton, GA) (9-0)