Virginia football head coach Bronco Mendenhall has apparently unveiled a new way of revealing verbal commitments.
— Bronco Mendenhall (@UVACoachBronco) April 24, 2020
Coach Mendenhall utilized his new Twitter tool Friday evening, when Quince Orchard (Gaithersburg, MD) defensive back William Simpkins III announced his commitment to the Hoos. The 6’2”, 175-pound junior chose UVA over offers from Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, NC State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and West Virginia.
Simpkins III revealed his decision via Twitter.
— William Simpkins III (@WNS_III) April 24, 2020
Virginia was the first school to offer a scholarship to Simpkins III, a versatile defensive back who has played safety and cornerback at Quince Orchard. 247Sports ranks him as the no. 75 cornerback in the class of 2021. Rivals ranks Simpkins III as a safety and the no. 34 overall junior in Maryland.
Simpkins III and class of 2021 athlete prospect Ryan Barnes, who also has an offer from UVA, helped the Cougars to a 12-1 record last season.
Virginia Football’s Class of 2021
Simpkins III becomes the first sure-fire defensive back commitment for Virginia in the class of 2021. Mendenhall likes size at cornerback, which is where I think he will start out his Cavalier career.
– Jesiah Davis, Wide Receiver, Providence Day (Charlotte, N.C.)
– Malachi Fields, Athlete, Monticello (Charlottesville, VA)
– Amaad Foston, Running Back, John Milledge Academy (Milledgeville, GA)
– Langston Long, Safety/Linebacker, Christ School (Arden, N.C.)
– Josh McCarron, Outside Linebacker, Archbishop Murphy (Everett, WA)
– William Simpkins III, Defensive Back, Quince Orchard (Gaithersburg, MD)
– Jay Woolfolk, Dual-Threat Quarterback, Benedictine (Richmond, VA)