The University of Virginia football’s recruiting roll continued tonight (April 30), when Lafayette (Williamsburg, VA) junior Michael Green announced his commitment to the Hoos. The 6’4”, 215-pound athlete prospect gives head coach Bronco Mendenhall and company 10 verbal commitments in the class of 2021.
Five of Virginia’s commitments have come within the past nine days, including three this week.
— michael green (@Mikegreen42021) April 30, 2020
Green’s combination of size and athleticism translates well to multiple positions on the major college football level. He plays linebacker, tight end, and wide receiver for the Rams; however, Virginia is pursuing him initially as an outside linebacker.
Green’s potential future position coach, Virginia co-defensive coordinator/outside linebacker coach Kelly Poppinga, took to Twitter to express his excitement regarding Green’s decision.
— coachkellypoppinga (@Coach_Popp) April 30, 2020
247Sports ranks Green as the no. 17 junior in the state of Virginia and the no. 82 wide receiver in the nation. 247Sports and Rivals rate the in-state standout as a 3-star recruit; however, he has been one of the hottest recruits recruiting-wise in the Commonwealth throughout this year.
From January 31 – this is when Boston College became the first school to offer – through late April, 19 schools offered scholarships to the versatile athlete. Among the other major FBS offers are Central Florida, Kansas State, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
Virginia Football’s Class of 2021
#THEStandard21 has reached double digits and now includes five defensive prospects – linebackers Green, Langston Long, and Josh McCarron, as well as defensive backs Micah Gaffney and William Simpkins III – and five offensive recruits. As mentioned above, Green has the talent to play any linebacker position, tight end or possibly wide receiver at UVA.
Location-wise, UVA now boasts three commitments from the state of Virginia. In addition, Langston Long attended Hylton High School (Woodbridge, VA) before transferring to Christ School (Arden, N.C.), where he is finishing out his high school career.
– Jesiah Davis, Wide Receiver, Providence Day (Charlotte, N.C.)
– Malachi Fields, Athlete, Monticello (Charlottesville, VA)
– Amaad Foston, Running Back, John Milledge Academy (Milledgeville, GA)
– Micah Gaffney, Cornerback, Spanish Fort (AL)
– Michael Green, Linebacker, Lafayette (Williamsburg, VA)
– Langston Long, Safety/Linebacker, Christ School (Arden, N.C.)
– Josh McCarron, Outside Linebacker, Archbishop Murphy (Everett, WA)
– Jacob Rodriguez, Dual-Threat Quarterback, Rider (Wichita Falls, TX)
– William Simpkins III, Defensive Back, Quince Orchard (Gaithersburg, MD)
– Jay Woolfolk, Dual-Threat Quarterback, Benedictine (Richmond, VA)