The University of Virginia football program has scored a third commitment from the state of Tennessee in the class of 2021. Michael Diatta, a 6’5”, 256-pound senior out of Cane Ridge High School in Nashville, is the latest to pledge to the Hoos.
— Michael Diatta (@d1mike_58) November 11, 2020
Diatta has had plenty to be thankful for in the month of November, receiving scholarship offers from Vanderbilt, Virginia, Memphis, Tulane, Coastal Carolina and Georgia Southern. Virginia was the first Power 5 school to extend an offer to the late rising prospect, coming through on November 5. Vanderbilt offered one day later.
An excellent student, Diatta, who carries a 4.25 GPA, also considered Ivy League opportunities including Brown and Columbia.
Diatta is being recruited by UVA as a defensive lineman. He plays defensive end and right tackle at Cane Ridge.
Virginia Football’s Class Of 2021
Diatta becomes the second defensive line commitment in the class, joining Hugh Laughlin of Athens Academy in Georgia. The Hoos also have a commitment from Lorenz Terry, a class of 2020 pledge who has enrolled at Fork Union Military Academy for postgraduate work this fall. Terry, who did not sign a letter of intent with Virginia last February, was hoping to enroll on Grounds this coming January.
All three prospects have good height, coming in around the 6’4”/6’5” range, as well as athleticism and physical frames to build on.
As mentioned, the Hoos now boast three commitments from the state of Tennessee in this class. Offensive lineman Noah Josey is the most highly regarded rankings-wise. The Under Armour All-American is rated as the state’s no. 6 high school senior according to Rivals and no. 13 according to 247Sports. Bradley Central (Cleveland, TN) athlete Javin Burke is rated by 247 as the no. 19 senior in the state, while Rivals has him at no. 30.
– Javin Burke, Athlete, Bradley Central (Cleveland, TN)
– Jesiah Davis, Wide Receiver, Providence Day (Charlotte, N.C.)
– Michael Diatta, Defensive Lineman, Cane Ridge (Nashville, TN)
– Malachi Fields, Athlete, Monticello (Charlottesville, VA)
– Amaad Foston, Running Back, John Milledge Academy (Milledgeville, GA)
– Ty Furnish, Offensive Lineman, Blessed Trinity Catholic (Roswell, GA)
– Micah Gaffney, Cornerback, Spanish Fort (AL)
– Michael Green, Linebacker, Lafayette (Williamsburg, VA)
– Hugh Laughlin, Defensive Lineman, Athens Academy (Athens, GA)
– James Jackson, Outside Linebacker, North Cross (Roanoke, VA)
– Noah Josey, Offensive Lineman, Brentwood Academy (Brentwood, TN)
– Langston Long, Safety/Linebacker, Christ School (Arden, N.C.)
– Josh McCarron, Outside Linebacker, Archbishop Murphy (Everett, WA)
– Charlie Patterson, Offensive Lineman, Fellowship Christian School (Roswell, GA)
– Jacob Rodriguez, Dual-Threat Quarterback, Rider (Wichita Falls, TX)
– Aidan Ryan, Defensive Back, James Monroe (Fredericksburg, VA)
– Jonas Sanker, Athlete, Covenant (Charlottesville, VA)
– William Simpkins III, Cornerback, Quince Orchard (Gaithersburg, MD)
– Logan Taylor, Offensive Tackle, Episcopal (Alexandria, VA)
– West Weeks, Linebacker, Oconee County (Watkinsville, GA)
– Jack Witmer, Tight End, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX)
– Jay Woolfolk, Dual-Threat Quarterback, Benedictine (Richmond, VA)