During the offseason months for football and basketball, lists always seem to pop up to fill the time. Things like top 5 defensive ends in the ACC or way too early top 25 rankings are common.
Sports Illustrated’s Rick Gosselin published that type of article this week: The All-Time University of Virginia NFL Team. He named the top player at each position based on their pro success. Obviously, this list is a who’s who of Hoo lore in a lot of ways. Herman Moore, Matt Schaub, Chris Long, Heath Miller, and Tiki and Ronde Barber all made it for example.
Gosselin’s article only put in one player per position so certainly some fans will disagree with choices. Even if there’s 100% agreement, though, there are some good names that didn’t make the list. So for the Fan Friday feature, it seemed like a good idea to throw out a few more names as honorable mentions. Any others missing? Additions? Personal favorites? Share them on the message board or in the comments below!
- QB Aaron Brooks – 93 games with 90 starts, 20,261 passing yards, 123 touchdowns, 1,534 rushing yards, 13 touchdowns
- RB Thomas Jones – 180 games with 125 starts, 10,591 rushing yards for 26th all-time in NFL history, 68 rushing touchdowns, 2008 Pro Bowl
- WR Dontrelle Inman – 75 games with 37 starts, 188 receptions for 2,445 yards and 13 touchdowns.
- WR Billy McMullen – 49 games in 5 seasons, 52 receptions for 725 yards and 3 touchdowns
- TE John Phillips – 120 games with 43 starts, 58 receptions for 428 yards and 5 touchdowns,
- OL John St. Clair – 132 games with 79 starts, 9 seasons
- OL Morgan Moses – mentioned in the article, 121 games with 113 starts, 8 seasons and still active
- OL Brad Butler – 33 games with 31 starts, 4 seasons
- LB Chris Slade – 142 games with 108 starts, 9 seasons, 53.5 sacks, 664 tackles, 16 forced fumbles, 1997 Pro Bowl
- LB Jamie Sharper – 136 games with 135 starts, 9 seasons, 25.5 sacks, 879 tackles, 13 forced fumbles
- S Percy Ellsworth – 87 games with 53 starts, 6 seasons, 318 tackles, 20 interceptions, 3 touchdowns
- ST Alvin Pearman – 38 games, 4 seasons, 92 punt returns for 805 yards, 22 kick returns for 488 yards
- ST Ryan Kuehl – 126 games in 9 seasons as a long snapper
With those picks out of the way, let’s look at the weekly fan selections.
Fan(s) Of The Week
Good times at Davenport Field for UVA baseball fans.
Student Fan(s) Of The Week
Virginia fans are sizzling.
Feature Photo Of The Week
That feeling when you finish the semester. Joshua Rawlings takes the field at the Hoos’ Spring Game.