The Virginia basketball team snared a 78-68 victory against in-state rival Virginia Tech on Wednesday night. That’s always a good thing for fan mood. Of course, winning games in the state is nothing new for the UVA hoops program.
The Cavaliers own a 2-0 record against teams from the Commonwealth this season (55-50 vs. currently 13-7 JMU and the 10-point win against currently 11-7 VT). Since the 1999-2000 season, UVA boasts a 76-18 record against teams from the state of Virginia.
A lot of that success has come with Tony Bennett at the helm and Kihei Clark on the roster, of course. Bennett logged the 399th W of his career with Wednesday’s result and he recently passed Terry Holland to become the program’s all-time winningest coach. He’s now up to 330 wins at UVA. Clark, meanwhile, became the program’s all-time winningest player with the Tech victory. He has 111 wins while wearing the orange and blue.
Both deflected credit to all the talented players alongside them for the individual milestones and with those markers now out of the way, the focus the rest of this season zooms in further on the ACC title competition. Clemson currently leads the standings with a 7-1 league mark, while Miami, Virginia, Wake Forest, and Pittsburgh are just a game back at 6-2.
That makes this weekend’s afternoon test at Wake a big game as the conference schedule closes in on the halfway point. The title race, Bennett, Clark, lineups, and more have been hot topics on the message boards. Here are a few examples:
- Best chance to win ACC regular season? ~ Bluetrain
- PlayoffStatus dot com is good for a smile … ~ Trigon
- By the end of next season CTB could be the Dean of the ACC. ~ Toolie92
- So with 12 regular season games left, who is team MVP right now? ~ Gulf Coast Hoo
- One thing about Kihei that hasn’t been discussed much lately (that I’ve seen) is his absurd usage and the pace he keeps with the demands he’s putting on his body. ~ HoosADaddy
- The new lineup of Clark, Beekman, Franklin, Vanderplas and Dunn is a keeper. ~ HooBrion
- Franklin is VERY quietly having a really great year. Efficiency is way up from last year and leading team in scoring. ~ ThatDadgumBiscuit
- Don’t sleep on Kadin. ~ DFW HOO
- According to Ken Pom Wake and VT have similar offensive efficiency. However, VT ranks 78th on D (not good) but Wake ranks 144th. We should be able to score a lot vs the Deacs. ~ hooman#1
And with that, let’s look at the Fan Friday picks!
Fan(s) Of The Week
Student Fan(s) Of The Week
Turn the lights down and turn the noise up for the starting lineup!
Feature Photo Of The Week
Reece Beekman rises up for a dunk.