Some of the University of Virginia football program’s class of 2021 were in playoff action this past week, while others are gearing up for the postseason. How did the future Hoos fare on the gridiron? Here is the latest “Week In Review.”
– Amaad Foston, Running Back, John Milledge Academy (Milledgeville, GA)
JMA improved to 6-0 after defeating Bethlehem Christian Academy, 43-0. The Trojans, who have played this season without the injured Foston, have not allowed a point in the past four games.
– Jack Witmer, Tight End, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX)
Cy-Fair downed current Cavalier offensive lineman Joe Bissinger’s alma mater, Memorial, by a score of 31-3 to improve to 7-0. The 6’6”, 230-pound Witmer was once again involved in the passing attack, hauling in a long touchdown reception.
– Ty Furnish, Offensive Lineman, Blessed Trinity (Roswell, GA)
The Titans (4-0) cruised to a 50-0 victory over Hiram.
– Charlie Patterson, Offensive Lineman, Fellowship Christian (Roswell, GA)
On senior night, Fellowship Christian rolled to a 63-10 victory over Mount Pisgah Christian. The Paladins conclude the regular season with a 9-0 record, capturing a region championship in the process. Playoffs begin on November 27.
– Michael Diatta, Defensive Lineman, Cane Ridge (Nashville, TN)
Cane Ridge saw its 2020 season come to an end with a playoff loss to Brentwood. On Tuesday (November 10), Diatta became the latest member of Virginia football’s class of 2021.
– Hugh Laughlin, Defensive Lineman, Athens Academy (Athens, GA)
Athens Academy rebounded from its first loss of 2020 with a 54-20 win over Athens Christian. The Spartans (7-1) face a test on Friday against a 6-win George Walton Academy squad.
– James Jackson, Linebacker, North Cross (Roanoke, VA)
North Cross played the Fieldale Ducks travel team – the team includes players from Bassett, Magna Vista, Martinsville and George Washington high schools according to the Roanoke Times – and won 63-0. Jackson hauled in a 50-yard touchdown reception in the win.
North Cross has won all four games it has played this season.
– Langston Long, Linebacker, Christ School (Arden, N.C.)
The Greenies picked up their fourth consecutive win, defeating High Point Christian Academy, 43-21. Christ School (4-2) moves into NCISAA playoff action this week, when it takes on Trinity Christian.
– West Weeks, Linebacker, Oconee County (Watkinsville, GA)
Oconee County met the challenge of a 6-win Monroe Area team and came away with a 35-16 victory. The Warriors, undefeated through eight games, take on Franklin County on November 20 in their regular season finale.
Weeks had a 2-yard touchdown reception in the win.
– Micah Gaffney, Cornerback, Spanish Fort (AL)
Spanish Fort (8-3) advanced in the Class 6A playoffs with a defense-led 26-13 win over McAdory. In the second round matchup this week, the Toros stay home to face (8-3).
– Javin Burke, Athlete, Bradley Central (Cleveland, TN)
Bradley Central escaped the first round of playoffs with a 17-14 win over Farragut. An undefeated Maryville team awaits the Bears, who have played most of the season without Burke, who is sidelined with a shoulder injury.